Jan 14, 2020
In Episode 49, Jill and Chris interview Dr. Joan Ifland, a
processed food addiction expert. Dr. Ifland has been creating
breakthroughs in recovery from food addiction since 1999, when her
first popular book was published. In 2018, her textbook,
Processed Food Addiction: Foundations, Assessment and
Recovery was published. Her insights into processed
food addiction following decades of research are fascinating.
In this powerful episode we discuss:
What is food addiction?
- The dangers of food addiction
- The 11 questions to answer to discover if you have a food
- The six most common indications of addiction
- A checklist of symptoms – Diagnostic Criteria for
- What addicted eating looks like compared to non-addictive
- Why the triggers to eat processed food are so powerful
- What happened after the tobacco industry purchased a
significant part of food industry in the 1980’s.
- The role of sugar, high fructose corn syrup, caffeine, salt,
dairy, diet soda and artificial sweeteners in food addiction
How to stop eating processed foods
- Is it better to wean slowly off of processed foods or go cold
- Can we eat processed foods in moderation? For instance, cheat
days or special events?
- What to expect when going through the withdrawal of processed
foods (the first 4 days)
- Managing Withdrawal from
- How to navigate holidays and special occasions that are filled
with processed foods.
- The role of cueing in food addiction and how to gain
- Why mirror neurons can help or hurt us in fighting food
- The importance of finding your tribe.
She created RESET WEEK, the first online live video program for
withdrawal from processed foods.
Many resources were mentioned during the podcast. Some are
directed to health professionals, others are for consumers and the
Here is where you can find more education and
- Dr. Ifland’s website https://www.drjoanifland.com/
- Food Addiction Resources
- Facebook https://www.facebook.com/foodaddictionreset/
- Instagram https://www.instagram.com/foodaddictionreset/
- The Addiction Reset Community (ARC)
- Free services at her Facebook group called Food Addiction
- Free resources and printable handouts
- Grocery shopping list of unprocessed
- Education and support by FAR-TV videos at Food
Addiction Reset TV on YouTube